Please read this guide to quality content from the University of Illinois Library. We are aiming for these principles in our web communication.
Subject Guides (librarywp.whatcom.edu)
Generally have a couple of purposes:
- Highlight authenticated resources that the library subscribes to.
- Feature the best/relevant open web resources available.
Subject guides can have any of these parts.
Note: Not a heading level. Examples:
- Objective: To support the research needs of Whatcom students in the Nursing program.
- Purpose: Philosophy is a major academic field that covers many topics. WCC offers several courses on philosophy including Critical Thinking, Logic, Ethics and Religion. This guide is meant to help students find the best research sources both within the libraries collection and on the open web.
When in a Tabbed Guide, can be under the H2 tab titled: “Introduction”
- Political Science is the study of systems of government, politics, and power. WCC offers courses on Political Science including Political Theory, American Governement, International Relations, and Comparative Government. This guide is meant to help students find the best sources for both within the libraries collection and on the open web, as well as resources for keeping current on political news and events. see example here
Including Print Materials
Call Numbers should always be displayed with spaces & bolded in a parenthesis with their physical collection indicated.
HB 345 .F45U78 2009
Print Book Example:Web Development & Design Foundations with HTML 5 (print Stacks QA 76.76 .H94f455 2017)
Salem Health: Infectious Diseases & Conditions (print Reference RC 111 .I4577 2012)
Browse the Stacks
- Stacks range
- Simple – use
Dropcap Shortcode(max 2 letters).
- Complex – use
- Combo – see example
- Simple – use
Can be use if there is a small sample. For example:
Including “Background Information”
Use this term instead of “Reference Material”. Please include FOD & Credo Topics
- [icon name="film"] FilmsOnDemand: Eduction
- [icon name="book"] Credo Topics: Geography
Including Individual Databases
Use if there is relevant individual databases. Please don’t use if we do not subscribe to any in this subject specifically. Adjust shortcode below accordingly.
[[row][column size="1/3"][pods name="authenticated_databa" slug="cmmc" template="Authdbs Logo (full) with Link"][/column][column size="2/3"][pods name="authenticated_databa" slug="cmmc" template="AuthDbs - Single Line (wcc logo)"][/column][/row]]
eBook RSS Feed
RSS Feed (Get code from Christy)
Including Individual Journals
Try not to have a long list. We do not need to be comprehensive. The goal is to give access to a few top journals. Please include only ones we have access to (subscription or OA).
- (optional) Mention: [A-Z Journals]
- (optional) Mention: ILL –> Still can’t find a particular article? Request articles through Interlibrary Loan
Example: Journals/pMags together
Including “Keeping Up With…” RSS & Podcasts
Additionally… How to Present Information ((Ref))
Be friendly – Provide static descriptions of each resource
Less is better than more – Key information only
Space – Break up content
Be consistent in terms of layout and styles