A move back into “hard” SF, and a precursor to more modern themes, denotes much of Kress’ work, like this story.
What the hell difference does it make what I think? Why does he have to come here…? Why can’t they all go someplace else besides here? There must be lots of places they can go, out of all them bright stars up there behind the clouds. They don’t need to come here where I need this job….
- “Laws of Survival,” Jim Baen’s Universe Dec. 2007; read online
- “Images of Anna,” Fantasy Sep. 2009; read online
- “End Game,” Asimov’s April/May 2007; read online
- “Margin of Error,” Omni Oct. 1994; read online
- “Always True to Thee, in My Fashion,” Asimov’s Jan. 1997; read online
- “Spillage,” F&SF April 1988; read online