Top 3 Resources
Try a keyword search and add these words or phrases
- mass media (e.g., censorship and mass media)
- communication (e.g., professional ethics and communication)
- journalis* (e.g., community and journalis*) Tip: The asterisk operates as a wildcard, it will search for any words beginning with “journalis,” such as journalism, journalist, journalistic, etc.
Consider these questions:
- What is the focus of my research topic (communication at work, in school, in a group, one-on-one)?
- What is the kind of communication I am searching for (spoken, nonverbal, written)?
- What do I want to focus on within this subject? (persuasion, conflict resolution, support, information-gathering)?
- What might be some other factors to keep in mind? (race, age, gender, culture)?
Search these resources for background information
Full-Text, Keyword Searchable eBooks
Credo Reference Media & Communication collection.
Browsing the Stacks
Media and communication topics are covered in many academic disciplines you will find books throughout the library. Some of the major sections are listed here.
Duke Libraries Digital Collection: Advertising Collection
Includes several collections such as Ad*Access (covering product categories such as Beauty and Hygiene, Radio, Television, Transportation, and World War II propaganda – dated between 1911 and 1955) and AdViews (thousands of television commercials dated 1950s – 1980s) plus several more stellar collections.
Gender Ads Project
Created by Scott A. Lukas of Lake Tahoe Community College, the website is dedicated to understanding the contexts of sexism and advertising, gender and advertising, women and advertising, men and advertising, advertising and violence.
Intercultural Communication Institute
The Intercultural Communication Institute (ICI) offers resources for intercultural, cross-cultural, multicultural, international, diversity training, and education.
Public Speaking: The Virtual Text
A free online public speaking textbook.
Stand up, Speak out: The Practice and Ethics of Public Speaking
A user-friendly guide to creating, researching, and presenting public speeches.
News & Blogs
What’s happening in broadcast media? How are pundits and journalists behaving? Media Matters analyzes what’s going on with the Fourth Estate.
This blog offers “Marketing and advertising news with attitude.” Get an inside look at ads, marketing and campaigns.
Great blog on public speaking and developing presentation skills.
This blog looks at the way that we engage each other and communicate as individuals and in societies.
The Communication Blog
(by Joseph A. DeVito, Hunter College of the City University of New York)